Diana M. Davis Watercolor

Diana M. Davis Watercolor

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Peach Iris



I've been working on my peach iris.. after looking at it that night I decided I really didn't like the way it was headed... so I cropped it.. and put a very dark background of viridian green, ultramarine blue,and sepia. Wet the background and then I slathered it on,cutting close to the iris with my flat brush. I also added a bud. I love the buds.. so graceful. Forgive the raw edge of the painting.. I'll trim that.. as you can see it's still wet and I haven't signed it either..

Question? Do you think the mat cuts too much of the flower??thanks, talk to you soon, Diana

7 comments:

  1. Love the dark of the background, and the mat looks just right, this is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely delicate peach tones! I think the mat is just about right, you don't want to have the flower right in the middle of the frame so it's better to cut that bit of petal off. Just my own thoughts of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the deep background because it really helps the flower to sing out from the paper! And the close up composition with the mount around it is, in my opinion, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to you Diana,, it's just a beautiful rendition of the peach iris.
    If I lived near you I'd be a good student !!!
    I can only say how much I love your work, your style and everything about your paintings...BJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thank you all, thank you Carol,Thanks Maria, I like the contrast too.Thank you Ruth, that is the only mat I have to fit. Thank you Sandra, and Barbra Joan. I appreciate you all commenting and I'll definitely put that mat on it and frame it then. I feel like I've been in a slump.. you've all boosted me up. thanks, Love,Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see that Blogger lost your comments too. That's annoying!
    Well in case you didn't read it the first time, I think the dark background really brings out the flower and makes it sing! Also, I love the close up composition - Perfect

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I enjoy them so much!