Diana M. Davis Watercolor

Diana M. Davis Watercolor

Monday, August 27, 2012

Daylily Watercolor on Masa Paper

Hi, Class was lovely on Saturday. I got over early. It takes me about an hour and a half to get to Norfolk Botanical Gardens. I have to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel which is 17 miles of bridge and 2 tunnels.. It's beautiful especially Fisherman's Island which is located in the middle of the bridge. I had 10 students, and Dave brought us a beautiful bucket of daylilies from the gardens..all colors and shapes.. gorgeous.I had prepared some masa so each student had one piece all ready to go. We did an exercise on different washes in watercolor, learned how to apply the masa to the watercolor paper,did an exercise in contour drawing of the lilies, then drew and painted our lilies. I asked each student to chose one lily to paint, so everyone had a different painting. It was fun. I reviewed some composition...

 after class I came on home and found Shields Stretch flooded,well it was half way up my tire.. as you can see in the photo. I got thru and Belle Haven had the most beautiful rainbow. I had to take a photo.. They had 2 tornados on the shore and 5-10inches of rain. We did need it. I finished my day lily watercolor this morning. See the effect of the masa.. It looks almost like batik.

Have a nice Monday. I'm going to paint another on the masa..

talk to you soon,Diana..
I called someone else about puppies.. One day I'll actually find one!

8 comments:

  1. Unbelievable, all that rain! Are you all right where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely piece, Diana! I tried a whole sheet of masa once and loved what was happening with it. Unfortunately I found that when I tried to remove some frisket, the paper tore. I don't know how to keep certain areas free from color while pouring...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Diana! Sounds like a great and fun class, glad you got home safely and weren't caught in the tornados :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Diana - lovely watercolor painting and great pictures. So glad you were not in the tornado. Take care and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diana, love your painting, but then again I always do..
    I've not been around too much , the weather was a factor, just worrying about it coming here.
    hope your ok, and yes a special puppy is going to wait just for you . BJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes~ all that water on the road looks scary!
    Your painting has me speechless, Diana... I mean really. It is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a wonderful class and the day lily painting is beautiful. I would not like to drive on a flooded road like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kathryn, we are fine, We got 5 inches of rain but some of the shore got 10 inches.HI Sherrie, this isn't a pour, I don't use miskit, I hate the stuff. I just paint around it, but never on masa.. it's too delicate. I try not to erase. BJ so glad you are alright, I've been praying for you. Did you have to move out because of the hurricane? Thank you Paula, Thanks so much. Thank you Kathleen, it was ok I just had to go slowly. thank you all, love to you,Diana

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I enjoy them so much!